movie buzz from a blockbuster employee

Sunday, April 6, 2008

There will be blood...eventually

I just watched There will be Blood, and was sadly disappointed. Everyone kept talking about it, and how great of a movie it was, so I guess I had pretty high expectations. This film is set in the early 1900's and is mostly about a man and his young son who are involved in the oil business. The boy's mother died in childbirth, so he is raised by his father, and acts as his father's business partner. The boy loses his hearing when there is an oil explosion, and the father ends up sending him away since the boy can no longer help him work. The father starts to lose his mind, and the plot is about that decline.

If you ever wanted to know what it was like to be a oil man, you should watch this movie.

This movie was soooo slooooooow...... I almost fell asleep a couple of times. It was two and a half hours long, and probably about a quarter of it there wasn't anyone talking. There wasn't even any dialog the first ten minutes. There were a ton of drawn out scenes where you had to watch the actors walking for a minute or two, while some strange music was going on in the background. Sometimes they would zoom in on people's faces for way longer then necessary. I guess they were trying to portray the mood, and how people were feeling through the way it was filmed rather then on dialog.

Even so, the acting was superb, and the directing was definitely different than usual. That was probably why so many people liked this movie. It seems that people think artsy movies are somehow profound. As long as it's filmed and played out different then normal, it's a good movie. I liked this movie for the acting. The main role must have been a hard one to play. You starting out really liking the main character, and slowly came to despise and pity him.

1 Comments:

  • At April 9, 2008 at 4:48 PM , Blogger Tyler said...

    I actually loved this movie. It is probably one of the best movies I have seen in a very long time. I put it in the category of instant classic. The two things that made it stand out the most to me were the superb acting and the fact that there is really no other movie like it. Alot of times I go to theatres and see movies and it seems like it's the same story over and over again. I also really liked the dramatic music they used throughout the movie, it really held my interest throughout.

    Daniel Day-Lewis was amazing as Daniel Planeview. I dont know if anyone could have filled that role better, he just fit in so well. Some of the scenes with him and Paul Dano (Eli Sunday) were just spectacular.

    Nevertheless I can see where people could dislike it. It's no suspence thriller or a romantic love story. It is a "messy" movie, it doesn't come all packaged together at the end with a pretty bow ontop. It makes you think.

     

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home